Wheel Fanatyk’s Tensiometer

Discussion in 'Cycling Archive' started by Tosspot, Nov 18, 2015.

  1. Tosspot

    Tosspot Guest

    Tosspot, Nov 18, 2015
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. Tosspot

    Rob Morley Guest

    On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 07:15:41 +0100
    Tosspot <> wrote:

    > http://www.wheelfanatyk.com/blog/wheel-fanatyks-tensiometer/
    >
    > I'm tempted. Currently using a TM-1, and the variability on
    > consecutive readings is starting to get annoying (10-15%).
    >
    > What does the froup think?


    I learned the finer points of wheelbuilding from someone who had an
    outstanding reputation among local club riders (having taught myself the
    basics) and he never used anything more sophisticated than a spoke key.
    I suppose that some modern wheels (high rigidity rims and low spoke
    counts) may benefit from tension checking, but I tend to avoid those
    myself and I've had no problems with traditional construction.
     
    Rob Morley, Nov 18, 2015
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Tosspot

    Clive George Guest

    On 18/11/2015 06:15, Tosspot wrote:
    > http://www.wheelfanatyk.com/blog/wheel-fanatyks-tensiometer/
    >
    > I'm tempted. Currently using a TM-1, and the variability on consecutive
    > readings is starting to get annoying (10-15%).
    >
    > What does the froup think?


    It'll go well with the Campag corkscrew and the Park Pizza cutter.
     
    Clive George, Nov 18, 2015
    #3
  4. Tosspot

    Dennis Davis Guest

    In article <>,
    Clive George <> wrote:
    >On 18/11/2015 06:15, Tosspot wrote:
    >> http://www.wheelfanatyk.com/blog/wheel-fanatyks-tensiometer/
    >>
    >> I'm tempted. Currently using a TM-1, and the variability on
    >> consecutive readings is starting to get annoying (10-15%).
    >>
    >> What does the froup think?

    >
    >It'll go well with the Campag corkscrew and the Park Pizza cutter.


    Oh goody goody, that's three "must-have" toys for my Christmas list.
    I'll take them all, even though I don't like pizza all that much.

    Not that it really matters. I doubt that Santa will bring me any of
    them :-(
    --
    Dennis Davis <>
     
    Dennis Davis, Nov 18, 2015
    #4
  5. Tosspot

    Tosspot Guest

    On 18/11/15 20:03, Clive George wrote:
    > On 18/11/2015 06:15, Tosspot wrote:
    >> http://www.wheelfanatyk.com/blog/wheel-fanatyks-tensiometer/
    >>
    >> I'm tempted. Currently using a TM-1, and the variability on consecutive
    >> readings is starting to get annoying (10-15%).
    >>
    >> What does the froup think?

    >
    > It'll go well with the Campag corkscrew and the Park Pizza cutter.


    Oooh, harsh!
     
    Tosspot, Nov 19, 2015
    #5
  6. Quoting Tosspot <>:
    >http://www.wheelfanatyk.com/blog/wheel-fanatyks-tensiometer/
    >I'm tempted. Currently using a TM-1, and the variability on consecutive
    >readings is starting to get annoying (10-15%).
    >What does the froup think?


    For $300, I'm painfully aware that I could buy quite a few wheel builds.

    I dunno. I have a TM-1; it's not that variable, but of course I have no
    idea if the calibration is any good.
    --
    David Damerell <>
    Clown shoes. I hope that doesn't bother you.
    Today is First Friday, November.
    Tomorrow will be First Saturday, November - a weekend.
     
    David Damerell, Nov 19, 2015
    #6
  7. Tosspot

    Clive George Guest

    On 19/11/2015 06:18, Tosspot wrote:
    > On 18/11/15 20:03, Clive George wrote:
    >> On 18/11/2015 06:15, Tosspot wrote:
    >>> http://www.wheelfanatyk.com/blog/wheel-fanatyks-tensiometer/
    >>>
    >>> I'm tempted. Currently using a TM-1, and the variability on consecutive
    >>> readings is starting to get annoying (10-15%).
    >>>
    >>> What does the froup think?

    >>
    >> It'll go well with the Campag corkscrew and the Park Pizza cutter.

    >
    > Oooh, harsh!


    It looks lovely, and if you've got money burning a hole in your pocket
    and a slight case of OCD to appease, go for it. (and judging by your
    spreadsheet, the latter might well be the case :) )

    I'm not convinced you won't get the same variable readings problem though.
     
    Clive George, Nov 19, 2015
    #7
  8. Tosspot

    Tosspot Guest

    On 19/11/15 15:19, David Damerell wrote:
    > Quoting Tosspot <>:
    >> http://www.wheelfanatyk.com/blog/wheel-fanatyks-tensiometer/
    >> I'm tempted. Currently using a TM-1, and the variability on consecutive
    >> readings is starting to get annoying (10-15%).
    >> What does the froup think?

    >
    > For $300, I'm painfully aware that I could buy quite a few wheel builds.
    >
    > I dunno. I have a TM-1; it's not that variable, but of course I have no
    > idea if the calibration is any good.



    The calibration I could deal with, I could calibrate it myself quite
    easily (a bottle of water and a pole would suffice) but I find it
    irritating taking three reading and averaging them. I want something
    that will produce consistent readings.

    Hmm, I think the answer might be to try and find someone who has similar
    and try it out.
     
    Tosspot, Nov 20, 2015
    #8
  9. Tosspot

    Tosspot Guest

    On 19/11/15 15:45, Clive George wrote:
    > On 19/11/2015 06:18, Tosspot wrote:
    >> On 18/11/15 20:03, Clive George wrote:
    >>> On 18/11/2015 06:15, Tosspot wrote:
    >>>> http://www.wheelfanatyk.com/blog/wheel-fanatyks-tensiometer/
    >>>>
    >>>> I'm tempted. Currently using a TM-1, and the variability on
    >>>> consecutive
    >>>> readings is starting to get annoying (10-15%).
    >>>>
    >>>> What does the froup think?
    >>>
    >>> It'll go well with the Campag corkscrew and the Park Pizza cutter.

    >>
    >> Oooh, harsh!

    >
    > It looks lovely, and if you've got money burning a hole in your pocket
    > and a slight case of OCD to appease, go for it. (and judging by your
    > spreadsheet, the latter might well be the case :) )


    Which reminds me, latest version done. External links corrected,
    diagram on hub measurements, and a few tidy ups. Watch this space.

    Is there any free lilypad I can drop it onto? Pastebin or similar?

    > I'm not convinced you won't get the same variable readings problem though.
     
    Tosspot, Nov 20, 2015
    #9
  10. Re: Re: Wheel Fanatyk’s Tensiometer

    Quoting Tosspot <>:
    >The calibration I could deal with, I could calibrate it myself quite
    >easily (a bottle of water and a pole would suffice)


    I'd be grateful if you'd explain the method you'd use. Obvious ways of
    attaching an 80kg weight to one end of a spoke haven't struck me...
    --
    David Damerell <> flcl?
    Today is First Saturday, November - a weekend.
    Tomorrow will be First Sunday, November - a weekend.
     
    David Damerell, Nov 20, 2015
    #10
  11. Tosspot

    Tosspot Guest

    On 20/11/15 17:05, David Damerell wrote:
    > Quoting Tosspot <>:
    >> The calibration I could deal with, I could calibrate it myself quite
    >> easily (a bottle of water and a pole would suffice)

    >
    > I'd be grateful if you'd explain the method you'd use. Obvious ways of
    > attaching an 80kg weight to one end of a spoke haven't struck me...



    Archimedes. We have office water in 15 litre containers. An empty[1]
    one of those, and a (roughly) meter pole.

    Or else it'll be stealing office water.
     
    Tosspot, Nov 20, 2015
    #11
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.